(PRESS RELEASE)_(West Palm Beach, FL – June 1, 2023) Friends of the Mounts Botanical Garden will be hosting three week-long programs next month for nature curious youngsters ages 7 to 11. Garden Explorers Summer Camp offers science-based fun and nature experiences, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 3 pm, July 10-14, July 17-21, and July 24-28.
“Eco-conscious and green-leaning kids can register for one, two, or all three weeklong camps because each one will offer something new and different,” promises Mounts Curator Director Rochelle Wolberg. “Activities will take place both outside and indoor, so campers will have access to a cool, dry space in the event of excessive heat or rain.”
During Mounts Year of the Orchid 2023, each of the three camp sessions will be limited to 20 participants and will offer a variety of fun and informative experiences, including:
· Become a junior wetlands water quality and conservation specialist by taking part in hands-on lab activities.
· Become a budding soil scientist by getting a close-up, “dirty hands” look at the properties of mud.
· Become a blooming horticulturist by discovering the wicked, dangerous, sticky, deceptive and downright incredible adaptations plants have developed to help them survive.
· Become a botanist-to-be by attending a dissection lab for an inside look at the fascinating structures of seeds and flowers.
· Become an aspiring agriculturalist by touring the edible gardens at Mounts and learning how to grow and nurture tasty fruits and vegetables.
· Become an edible gardener by making healthy garden snacks.
The cost to attend each week-long session is $250 for Mounts members, $290 for nonmembers. (Note: an extra $50 per camper will cover extended care, 8 to 9 am, and 3 to 4 pm.)
For each session of the Garden Explorers Summer Camp, young participants should bring a refillable water bottle, a healthy lunch, a hat, sunscreen, and bug repellant.
For each camper, Mounts will provide materials for all activities, snacks, and water for refilling bottles.
To register for the Garden Explorers Summer Camp at Mounts in July, please visit https://www.mounts.org/garden-explorers-summer-camp/.
Exploring what to see and do in North Palm Beach and the South Florida area. Your hosts are Pam and Gerry Barker.
Listen to Chapter One of "Panama Palmer"